Thursday, June 23, 2011

Potato Corn fry with Tomato Dal

My Bade Ammi or my mom's eldest sister was one of the few cooks I really liked besides my Ammi and my Daadi Ammi. My Bade Ammi had a very different style of cooking than what my mom and my grandmother used to make. And I just loved eating lunch at her place. Mainly because the rice she used to make was soooo not very sticky-cause she used to make Basmati Rice for everyday meals
             The Tomato Dal I am making here is my Bade Ammi's recipe and I simply loved it. The way my mom used to make Tomato Dal is different and here is the recipe for Tomato Dal Ammi Style

Potato Corn Fry (Simple Potato and corn stirfry)

Potato Corn Fry
Ingredients:
  1. 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed small
  2. 1 cup corn kernels (thawed if frozen) (I used sweet white corn kernels)
  3. 1/2 cup red onions diced
  4. 2 tablespoons oil
  5. 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, chilly powder, turmeric
  6. 2/3 teaspoon each of salt, mango powder (optional)
In a pan heat the oil and fry the cumin till they start turning brown. Add cubed potatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Until they become tender and slitly browned. Move the potatoes to one side and add chopped onions and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of ingredients, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Garnish with mango powder and cilantro and enjoy

Tomato Dal Bade Ammi Style

Tomato Moong Dal
Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup yellow moong dal dry roasted
  2. 2-3 tomatoes finely chopped
  3. 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds
  4. 1 teaspoon salt
  5. 1 tablespoon oil
  6. 3-4 dried red chillies broken, few curry leaves
In a pressure cooker add the dal with tomato and turmeric and 2 cups water and cook for 3-4 whistles. After the steam escapes, open the cooker and mash the dal and add 2-3 more cups of water and salt and bring to a boil. In a pan heat the oil and fry the cumin, mustard seeds, broken chillies and curry leaves and fry for 5 minutes or till the cumin become dark in color. Add this to the dal and bring to boil and boil for 5-7 minutes. garnish with cilantro and enjoy with white rice

No comments:

Post a Comment