Thursday, June 23, 2011

Saba Fish Curry

Back in India, when I was a little kid, my mom used to go shopping for fish on those special sundays and I used to accompany her sometimes. And boy I hated that stench. And sometimes when we used to go to Dhavaleswaram my mom would just stop my dad's official car and just buy fresh fish from the fish mongers by the side of the 5th largest river in India The Mighty Godavari . Now I know why the curries she used to make with them tasted so darn delicious- Cause they were fresh
                 Anyway, I made the most basic fish curry my mom used to make and I am serving it with Tomato Dal

Saba Fish Curry (Fish curry with onions and Spices)

Saba Fish Curry
Ingredients:
  1. 1 medium sized Saba cut into steaks 1-11/2 inch thinck
  2. 1 medium onion
  3. 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  4. 1/2-2/3 inch ginger
  5. 2 green chillies slit
  6. 2 garlic pods
  7. 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, chilly powder, turmeric, methi powder, coriander powder
  8. 2 tablespoons oil
Marinate the fish with all the powdered ingredients and oil and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Grind the onions and ginger and garlic  and cumin to a fine paste. Heat a pan and fry the fish 3 minutes on each side, drain and set aside. Add one more tablespoons of oil and fry the onion paste until it starts getting dark. Add fish to it, add half cup and slit green chillies of water cover and simmer for 5 minutes. remove lid and simmer for 5 more minutes or oil floats on top. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy fish curry

No comments:

Post a Comment