Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Urad dal Kanduri fry with Pyaz ka khatta

I had all these errands to do and a whole lot of shopping to do as my supplies were running low. So, I was out pretty much the whole day and by the time I came back home, and hauled everything into the house from the car and put everything where it belongs, I was super tired
              But you know, a women's work is never done. I still had to make dinner. So I made the fastest dishes possible. And also great tasting...half because I was so very hungry
             On days like this, I always wish I had some help and help comes in the form of pre-cut frozen vegetables

In case you are wondering what Kanuri is here are pictures of Kanduri or Tindora etc

Urad Dal Kanduri fry (Ivy gourd fried with black lentils)

Urad Dal Tindora fry
Ingredients :
  1. 1/4 cup black whole or halfed urad dal soaked overnight (I had them cause I was planning to make Dal Makhani)
  2. 1 package pre-cut frozen Tindora thawed (or 1lb fresh Tindora washed, ends cut an sliced vertically into 6-8 pieces)
  3. 2-3 tablespoons oil
  4. 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, chilly powder, cumin
  5. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
In a non-stick pan heat the oil and fry the cumin for 3 minutes. Add drained urad dal and fry for 5 minutes. Add drained tindora and fry covered (15 minutes if using fresh) 10 minutes without covering, stirring occasionally. Add salt, chilly powder an turmeric and stir to combine and fry for 5 more minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with Pyaz ka khatta

Pyaz ka Khatta (Onions cooked in Tamarind juice)

Pyaz ka khatta
Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup chopped red onions
  2. 2-3 cups of juice from tamarind the size of a small lemon
  3. 2 tablespoons oil
  4. 1 green chilly chopped
  5. 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
  6. 1/4 teaspoon each of chilly powder, turmeric
In a pan heat the oil and fry the onions till tender. Add green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes. Add all the other ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Until Oil floats. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with plain rice

No comments:

Post a Comment