Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rajma paneer with Onion rasam

Its been a long time since I made something with chickpeas and I wanted to make it. But a thorough search of my pantry reveled that I didn't have any garbanzo beans at hand. So I started seaching for some other legumes and found the kidneys beans calling my attention.
               Then, I started seaching for some Indian recipe with kidney beans and all I could find is Rajma...kidney beans in tomato gravy (Will make it and post it some other day) and I didn't want to make it. Then I thought why I can't make Kidney beans along with Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) and let me tell you it turned out Deeelicious.
              And to go with it, I am making Onion Chaaru from the Vegetarian recipe book my mom gave me when I got married. This is so nice and spicy, I can just sip it all by itself

Rajma Paneer (Kidney beans and cottage cheese curry)

Rajma Paneer
Ingredients:
  1. 1 can kidney beans (I used red kidney beans in chilli gravy)
  2. 1 cup paneer rectangles 3/4 cm x 3/4 inch (Basically trying to keep the paneer the same size as the kidney beans)
  3. 1 medium onion
  4. 1 inch ginger piece
  5. 1 medium tomato chopped
  6. 1/2 teaspoon each of chilly powder, salt, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric
  7. 3 tablespoons oil divided
  8. 1/2 cup water
Here is How to make fresh Paneer
Grind the onions and ginger to a fine paste and set aside. Fry the paneer pieces in oil till they turn golden brown. Drain and set aside. Add the cumin to the oil and let them crackle. Add the onion paste and fry till it starts changing color. Add chopped tomatoes and cook covered for 5 minutes. Add kidney bean to it and all the other ingredients except paneer, stir to combine and simmer for 10 minutes. Add paneer stir well and simmer for 5 more minutes. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with Zeera rice or white rice and onion rasam

Onion Rasam (Onions and tomato in Tamarind juice)

Onion Rasam
Ingredients:
  1. 2 tablespoons each of chopped onions, chopped tomato
  2. 1 teaspoon grated jaggery or brown sugar
  3. 1 big or 2 small green chillies sliced
  4. 4 cups of water
  5. 1 cup thick juice from a lime sized tamarind
  6. 1/2 tablespoons oil
  7. 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
  8. 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida(Hing)
Bring the water to a boil and add chopped onions and boil for a couple of minutes. Add all the rest of the ingredients and boil for 10 minutes. In a pan heat the oil and add hing to it. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Add it to the rasam and boil for 5 more minutes. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment