Monday, May 23, 2011

Eggless shortbread cookies

Back in the good 'ol days when I was a kid, there used to be one store which was close to my house and me and my brother used to go there an buy candies and cookies and there were my favourite cookies. But these were also the expensive cookies. When others used to be for 5 Paisa (and an Indian rupee is divided into 100 paise) and 1 rupee= 0.02 dollars , this particular cookie used to be 10 paisa. Double of other cookies.
                   Now I know why it was a very popular cookie in India. Mainly because it was eggless and India being one of the biggest vegetarian nations (Meaning...having the highest population who are vegetarians...atleast in those days)

Shortbread cookies

Shortbread cookies
Ingredients:
  1. 1/3 cup butter, softened
  2. 1/4 cup sugar
  3. 1 cups all purpose flour
  4. 1/3 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, salt and sugar in large bowl.  Stir in flour.  If dough is crumbly, mix in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of softened butter. (I used water)
       Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut dough with cookie cutters into desired shapes.  
Bake about 20 minutes, Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy with tea or as is

No comments:

Post a Comment