Saturday, March 31, 2018

Thai Chicken Watercress soup

The other day at my award ceremony...that's right I got the awards for "The Best in the Field"...anyway at the award ceremony I was seated next to a person whose father and grand mother owned restaurants in Mexico. In the course of talking I mentioned to him that I am always looking for ingredients which are high in Iron and he mention "Watercress" has a ton of Iron...turned out he was not correct.

But anyway when I was looking at watercress's nutrition turns out it has a pretty good amount of Vitamin C...which is what I need right now as my little one was generous enough to share his cold with me. So instead of making my standard chicken soup  I made this yummy coconut based soup with watercress  in it...

Needless to say I had to go shopping first...stopping at Sprouts for Watercress, Thai red curry paste, coconut milk and Onion pockets with Cheese breads for dipping in the soup. It was a great soup.

Thia Chicken WaterCress Soup (Coconut based Chicken soup)
Thai Chicken Watercress soup
Ingredients:
  1. 1 chicken breast cooked and shredded or 1 12.5 oz can chicken breast
  2. 1 8 oz mushroom sliced
  3. 1 chicken bouillion
  4. 3 cups water
  5.  1 package water cress chopped into 1.5 to 2 inches
  6.  1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  7.  1 small onion sliced into 1/2 circles
  8.  1 can light coconut milk
  9. 2 tablespoons Thai red chilli paste or less (according to your spice levels)
  10. 1 heaped teaspoon finely chopped garlic
  11. 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
  12. 1 tablespoon or more fresh squeezed lemon juice
In a pan heat the oil and fry the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add garlic and red chilli paste and fry for 2 more minutes. Add chicken bouillon and coconut milk on low flame bring it to a boil. Add chicken water and watercress and let boil for 5 more minutes. Add the lemon pepper and lemon juice and enjoy hot with bread





No comments:

Post a Comment