Saturday, June 3, 2017

Boori

This is one of those sweet dishes which ate made by the people in Andhra Pradesh during festivals. I have eaten this whenever my friends used to give it to us during festivals. I liked it but the only thing which I did not like it is they used to put too much cardamom in it. And I am not a big fan of the spices in big quantities.

So, I made these "Boori" about 20 of them and I put 1 cardamom, opened it and spread the seeds and the skin. And after making the boori I got one to eat and lo and behold I get a couple of seeds and the cardamom skin :(

Boori (Deep fried fritters filled with Sweet split peas)
Dal Bonda 

Pappu Boori

Ingredients for stuffing:

  1. 1 cup chana dal
  2. 1/2 cup brown sugar (or more if you like it very sweet) (mine are mildly sweet)
  3. 2-3 cardamom pods pounded
Ingredients for boori:
  1. 2 cups all purpose flour
  2. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  3. water to make a thick batter
  4. oil for deep frying
  5. 1 teaspoon baking soda
In a pressure cooker cook the dal for 2 cups of water for about 5-6 whistles. After the steam escapes open the cooker and check if the dal  is totally cooked. Else cook it for few more whistles. After opening the cooker add the salt and the cardamom and simmer till it becomes thick. Let it cool and make it into 20-24 balls and set aside

Make a thick batter. Heat the oil. Dip the sweet balls into the batter and fry till it becomes golden brown. Drain and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment