Monday, November 17, 2014

Sweet potato scones

I got this beautiful orange sweet potato some time ago and I left it on the counter so that I won't forget about it. I have been meaning to cook it for almost a week and finally I got to it yesterday. I decided I wanted some breakfast item with it and my search lead to sweet potato scones. It is so simple and so delicious .
The recipe called for 2 cup of mashed sweet potato and mine yielded 2 cups so I have enough for one more batch of scones. Yum yum

Sweet potato scones
Sweet potato Scones

Ingredients:
1. 1 cup mashed boiled sweet potato
2. 1 tablespoon butter
3. 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
4. 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, baking soda, cinnamon , all spice and nutmeg
5. 2 teaspoons baking powder
6. 1-2 teaspoons plain yogurt
7. 1 egg beaten
8. 2 cups all purpose flour

Beat the egg with salt and sugar . Add butter and sweet potato at room temperature and mix well. Sift the flour with baking powder and baking soda and  the rest of the spices. Mix the egg mixture and knead the dough for about 10 times. If it is too sticky add flour 1 tablespoon at a time.

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll it into a circle 3/4 inch thick. Cut it into 8 wedges and lay them on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack and serve with fresh butter or strawberry cream cheese like I did 

No comments:

Post a Comment