Sunday, January 29, 2017

Blueberry pies

Last night, my husband comes to me and says "you know how to make a pie " 😊 And yeah I made it on a Thursday evening...I can't believe myself.

The reason was I think there was a big bounty of blueberries so the super market I go to, had a ton of blue berries and at good price. Having fresh fruit at good price here in Georgia is not as common as in California. So, when I get the opportunity I grab the fresh fruit.

Anyway so much yup yup yup. I found the perfect recipe for the pie and they were great.

Blueberry Pie (Handheld pies with blue berry filling)

Blue berry pie

Ingredients:

  1. 2 cups fresh blue berries
  2. 1/2 cup sugar
  3. 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  4. 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
Ingredients for the dough:
  1. 8 oz cold butter
  2.  2 cups all purpose flour
  3.  1/2 teaspoon each of salt, baking powder
  4. 1/2 cup sour cream
For brushing/topping:
  1. 1 egg beaten
  2. Sugar for sprinkling
Heat the blueberries with sugar and lemon juice for about 5 minutes. Add the corn starch and mix well and let it cool.

Shift the flour with the salt and baking powder and add butter and sour cream. Mix until the dough is crumbly. If needed add ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time. Roll the dough on  clean surface dusted with flour into a rectangle. Fold it into three like a business letter :). Roll it again and do the same 3 more times. Wrap it with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough on a clean floured surface and cut it into 3 inch by 3 inch pieces. Add 1 teaspoon of filling and brush the edges with the egg  and top it with another piece of dough. Crimp it or press down with a fork. Brush with egg on top and top with sugar. Poke some holes at the top. Repeat.

Pre heat oven to 425. Place the pies on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool a bit and serve as is or with whipped cream


No comments:

Post a Comment