Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Turai Pulao


I was searching for something different o make with rice because I was bored with plain ol' rice. And when I started searching there were a million recipes you could make with vegetables and rice. SInce I had Turai on hand I made my own recipe and it was great. I served it with Kakoda Fry

Turai Rice ( Rice cooked with Ridge Gourd)

Turai Pulao
Ingredients:

  1. 1/4 cup chana dal
  2. 2 medium turai or ridge gourd peeled and chopped
  3. 2 green chillies
  4. 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, mustard seeds, urad dal, salt, coriander powder
  5. 1 tablespoon oil
  6. 1/2 cup sliced onions
  7. 1 teaspoon sambar powder
  8. few curry leaves
  9. 2 pods garlic minced
  10.  2 cups rice
In a flat bottomed pan heat the oil and fry the cumin, mustard seeds and urad dal and curry leaves for a minute. Add onions and green chillies and fry until the onions start getting brown. Add garlic and fry for a minute. Add chopped turai and salt and coriander powder and cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups water and bring to a rolling boil. Add 2 cups rice and cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is done. Add sambar powder and coriander leaves and enjoy hot hot on a cold autumn evening




2 comments: