Friday, August 23, 2013

Sweet Bread

The other day we went to Black Angus restaurant and I remembered how much I loved them molasses bread. Warm basket of goodness with a little butter to make it even better. I have been saving the recipe for some time now and today I finally got to the point of making it.

Bad news: I am out of molasses
Good news: I have some dark corn syrup and brown sugar

I know, I know corn syrup can never substitute for molasses. And I was reading somewhere that the corn syrup is just one molecule short of plastic. YUM!!! Most of the items in the super market have it

Sweet Bread (Chewy sweet bread with corn syrup)


 Ingredients:

  1. 3/4 package dry yeast
  2. 3/4 cup luke warm water (and a little  more if needed)
  3. 1/4 cup each of brown sugar, dark corn syrup
  4. 1 tablespoon oil
  5. 3 cups all purpose flour
  6. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  7. 1 teaspoon white sugar

Sweet corn syrup bread

Dissolve 1 tsp white sugar and yeast in luke warm water and set aside for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and salt to the flour and sift. Add the rest of the ingredients and make dough. Knead the dough on a dry clean surface until smooth and elastic. Grease a bowl and the dough ball and set aside for 1 hour. If it is not a hot day, heat the oven for 200 degrees for 3 minutes. Cut the heat and set the dough bowl in the oven for 1 hour until the dough doubles. Punch the dough and knead a little. Divide into 2 balls and set again in a greased bowl for 1 more hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (don't forget to take the dough out of the oven first). brush the dough balls with melted butter and sprinkle oats or flax seeds and bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Cut into sliced , spread with butter and dig in 

No comments:

Post a Comment