Monday, September 12, 2011

Tindora Pyaz wala

These days I am a little busy and hubby dear went to the Indian stores to shop for me and he picked up all those vegetables which are available pre-cut in the frozen section, and which just consume so much of my time when I try to cut them into pieces. But anyway, he got me dondakaaya, bendakaaya, chikudukaaya, gooru chikudu kaaya (I am just writing them in Telugu, cause they rhyme :)   )
                    Today I made a curry with Dondakaaya i.e Ivy Gourd or Tindora or Ghiloda in Gujrati. This dry curry recipe calls for halving the Ivy gourd vertically and then slitting them. Thats all. No cutting into smaller pieces then that. And this curry is awesome and I served it with Sambar or Khatti Dal . So enjoy!!!

Tindora Pyaz wala ( Dry Ivy Gourd curry with Ground Onions and Spices)

Dondakaaya Ulli Kura
Ingredients:
  1. About 20-25 Ivy Gourd ends cut, vertically cut into half and slit into2-3 pieces
  2. 1 medium red onion
  3. 1 inch ginger peeled
  4. 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander powder, salt, turmeric, red chilly powder
  5. 2-3 tablespoons oil
  6. 1 green chilly slit
In a microwave safe bowl add the ivy gourd, half of the salt and turmeric and cover and microwave for 4 minutes. In a pan heat the oil. Grind the onion with ginger and cumin to a fine paste. Add it to the pan and fry till it starts to change color. Add the green chilly, remaining spices and stir to combine. Add the ivy gourd cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Garnish with cilantro and serve


No comments:

Post a Comment