Thursday, September 22, 2011

Shrimp Po Boy sandwich

Once upon a time we went to San Francisco and the one food I was blown away was San Francisco Sour Dough bread. I read so many things about it and when I ate it, it was very delicious and another I read San Francisco was famous for was the crab sandwich and when I had it I was not disappointed.
                       Anyway, the reason why I am reminiscing about those sandwiches is, its all about the ingredients and since I am not getting any fresh crab lately, I got shrimp and I made a delicious Po-Boy Sandwich with it. It is basically a sub made of fried shrimp. So here is the recipe

Po Boy Sandwich (French bread sandwich stuffed with fried shrimp)
Po Boy





Ingredients for fried shrimp:

  1. 1 lb medium shrimp/ prawn shelled, and deviened
  2. 1 egg beaten
  3. 3/4 cup milk
  4. 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, ground
  5. thyme, ground oregano
  6. 1/2 teaspoon salt, fresh ground pepper
  7. 3/4 cup each of yellow corn meal, all purpose flour
  8. Oil for deep frying
  9. Extra salt and pepper for sprinkling
Mix the egg and milk with all the ingredients of #4. Marinade the shrimp in it for atleast 30 minutes. Mix the flour, yellow corn meal and salt and pepper. heat the oil and add the shrimp to the dry mix and press a bit so that the ingredients stick to it. Fry the shrimp in hot oil for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper

Ingredients for the sandwich:
  1. 6 inch French bread sliced in the middle (I used sesame seed burger buns) 
  2.  Chopped Lettuce
  3. 1 medium large beef steak tomato sliced thin
  4. 1 medium small red onion sliced thin and soaked in( 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 green chilly chopped) for 15-20 minutes
  5. Mayonnaise
  6. Sweet relish
  7. Pickle slices
  8. hot sauce
  9. Potato chips on the side
To assemble the sandwich, toast the bread with a little butter and smother with about 1/2-3/4 teaspoon Mayo on both side. Add lettuce, relish, onions, fried shrimp,(drizzle with some hot sauce with desired) tomatoes. Serve with chips

No comments:

Post a Comment