Saturday, October 1, 2011

Purple Cabbage Chana Masala

After coming to the USA I have some vegetables in different colors and I love them. Some of the vegetables I fell in love are purple cabbage, yellow and green cauliflower and my favourite Yellow Watermelon. Oh!!! I was sooo sweet.
Today I am making a regular curry with different colored vegetable and it does taste different. I am not sure what the difference is, but is certainly better tasting

Purple Cabbage Chana Masala (Cabbage and Lentil curry)

Purple cabbage chana masala
Ingredients:
  1. 3 cups purple cabbage sliced fine (or a medium small cabbage)
  2. 2/3 cup lentils or chana dal soaked in water for 20 minutes.
  3. 1 tablespoon oil
  4. 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, mustard seeds, urad dal, salt, turmeric, chilly powder
  5. few curry leaves, 2 dried red chillies broken
In a cooker, add the chana dal and cabbage and turmeric and 1/2 cup water and cook for 2 whistles. Let all the steam escape. heat oil in a pan and add cumin, urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies and fry for a minute. Add one finely chopped garlic if desired and fry for a minute. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir once and add the cabbage mixture.  Simmer till excess water evaporates. Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot hot roti

No comments:

Post a Comment