Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cabbage with black-eyed peas

am running low on supplies i.e vegetables and the items in my pantry. And since its almost (2 more days )weekend I am just procastinating my shopping trip. So I am just trying to make something out of whatever I am left with. case in point I have cabbage in the fridge and black eyed peas and a whole lot of cans of tomato paste in my pantry. SO I decided to make them. And the accompainment is Pyaz ka khatta i.e is onions cooked in tamarind juice. And I am cooking rice today but I bet this cabbage-black eyed peas combo aka curry would go well with plain roti. So here comes

cabbage with black-eyed peas (The items cooked in indian spices)
Ingredients:
  1. 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
  2. 1 can black eyed peas drained
  3. 1/2 cup chopped onions
  4. 1 green chilly chopped
  5. 2 tablepoons oil
  6. 1/2 teaspoon salt, chilly powder, grated ginger
  7. 1 teaspoon mild Madras curry powder (otherwise use 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin powder, coriander powder)
  8. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  9. coriander for garnishing
In a pan heat the oil and fry the onions till tender. Add chilly pieces and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes. Add cabbage, a little water and cover and cook till they become tender (I cooked both cabbage and BEPs (  :D Black Eyed Peas) in peassure cooker with1/4 cup water for one whistle to speed up the process)
           Add BEPs and all the other ingredients stir to combine, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasinally. garnish with cilantro and serve with roti or rice

Pyaz ka khatta (Onions cooked in Tamarind juice)

Pyaz ka khatta
Ingredients:

  1. 1 medium onion chopped
  2. 3 cups of juice/ pulp from 1 small lemon sized tamarind
  3. 1 green chilly chopped
  4. 1/2 teaspoon salt, chilly powder, turmeric
  5. 1 tablespoon oil
In a pressure cooker heat the oil and fry the onions till they start changing color. Add chilly pieces and fry for a couple of more minutes. Add all the other ingredients, close the cooker and cook for 3 whistles. Let the steam escape and open the cooker and simmer till oil float on top. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment