Friday, April 18, 2014

CornMeal idli

I have been really busy lately and haven' been blogging here. But today I made a point that I will make a dish and blog it.

I was searching for Indian breakfast recipes and I found this recipe for cornmeal idli and since I had soon meal I made it. And I loved them and my little one also liked it. I only difference I did was I had blue cornmeal on hand and not the regular yellow corn meal. This blue corn meal is from a trip to Albuquerque
Corn Meal Idli


Ingredients
Cornmeal - 2 cups
Sour Yogurt - 2 cups
Carrot - 1 (grated)
Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
Curry Leaves - 1 strand (finely chopped)
Water - as needed for batter
Oil- 2 tblsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Channa dal- 1 tsp


Method
1. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and channa dal.
2. Add the corn meal to this and roast it for few minutes. This step is optional but gives a nice nutty flavour. If you are in a hurry, skip this step.
3. Swith off and add grated carrot, chopped curry leaves, cilantro, yogurt and required salt.
4. Mix well and let this rest for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add water to bring it to the right consistency for making idlis or dosas.
6. Add a pinch of baking soda to the above batter and mix nicely. Steam them in idli plates for 15 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment