Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hyderabadi Ginger Chicken with Malabar Paratha

Long time ago when I was getting hooked up on the treats available in Hyderabad, one dish that made me crazy was Ginger Chicken. And there was a road side dhaba near my sis-in-law's house and whenever my brother used to go there I used to ask him to get it for me and OMG that was awesome. I never had Ginger chicken which tasted soooooooo delicious in another other hotel or restaurant.
                      I tried making Ginger chicken a lot of times before but still I missed that taste. So today I called my brother who is an amazing cook and asked him how to make this ginger chicken. So with his help I made the dish and it turned out Great with a CAPITAL G
                      I wanted to eat it with Naan but instead I just got frozen Malabar Parathas. I tried making them once but it is too much work and it didn't turn out very good. Better luck next time but today I am eating the frozen parathas

Hyderabadi Ginger Chicken (Chicken in a mildy sweet and spicy ginger gravy)

Ginger Chicken

Frozen Malabar Paratha
Ingredients:
  1. About 2 lbs chicken pieces (I used Chicken wings )
  2. 1 big onion or about 2-3 cups ground red onion puree
  3. 1 tablespoons tomato puree
  4. 2-3 inches ginger ground to paste
  5. 1/2-3/4 teaspoon each of salt, chilly powder, cumin, coriander powder, garam masala
  6. Pinch red food color (optional)
  7. 3-4 tablespoons oil
  8. 1 teaspoon thinly sliced ginger pounded
  9. 1 green chilly (or use more for hotter curry)
Ingredients for marinade:
  1. 1 heaped teaspoon ginger garlic paste
  2. 3/4 teaspoon each of salt, chilly powder, turmeric
Wash and pat dry the chicken and marinate it with the ingredients for about 1-2 hours

Heat the oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces 5 minutes on each side on high heat till you get a nice brown crust. Drain and set aside.
Grind the onion along with ginger and green chilly and cumin. Add this to the hot oil in the pan and fry till all the water get evaporated. Add tomato puree and pounded ginger and all the powder ingredients and stir to combine. Fry for 10 more minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer till oil separates. garnish with a generous amount of cilantro and serve with any Indian Bread like


Plain roti

Kalonji Roti



1 comment: